Tuesday, 9 July 2013

A return to Egypt: not if but when « 101 Holidays blog

A return to Egypt: not if but when « 101 Holidays blog: ......Without the crowds you will have an amazing experience

Even last month, before the latest turmoil, the huge slump in tourist numbers meant that our small group often had ancient temples entirely to ourselves. At the Egyptian Museum in Cairo, where in the past you might have queued for 45 minutes for a glimpse of Tutankhamun’s treasures, we had time to linger over them, untroubled by other tourists.

Fine, you may be thinking. But Egypt will always be there. I can go in five years, 10 years time. In fact, a spectacular new Grand Egyptian Museum costing $815 million is planned to open near the Pyramids at Giza in 2015. It will have a whole building dedicated to the treasures of Tutankhamun. Let’s wait until then.

True. And yet … Egypt needs tourists before then. Not just to bolster the country’s national deficit, but simply to ensure the tens of thousands of hotel staff, drivers, guides, boatmen and market traders can earn enough to feed their families this week and next.

And if you go before the crowds return – before the coach loads of Russians and Chinese descend – you will be welcomed with open arms and warm smiles......

- Sent using Google Toolbar

2 comments:

Di.W said...

It good to hear someone being positive. I have many friends in Luxor and was there earlier in the year. Most of my friends are now out of work and struggling to feed their families. I still felt safe walking around on my own - safer than I feel walking around here.

Di.W said...

It good to hear someone being positive. I have many friends in Luxor and was there earlier in the year. Most of my friends are now out of work and struggling to feed their families. I still felt safe walking around on my own - safer than I feel walking around here.