Sunday, 25 August 2013

Travelling from the UK to Luxor via Hurghada

If you are thinking about getting to Luxor via Hurghada and wonder about the journey, Trudi did the journey this week and this is her experience in her own words.


Soon it was that time again for me, my husband and my 19 month old son to go home and see our lovely family in Egypt. From where I was sitting in the UK the media coverage of what was happening in  filled me with fear as to whether or not it was safe to take my little boy and all that went through my mind was should I stay or go or cancel, yes at the time I was concerned. I had never ever felt unsafe in Egypt and have been travelling there since 2005 and made over 14 trips backwards and forwards over the years but this time I actually had my doubts.
 
We hadn’t been back to Luxor due to money constraints for about 8 months, so in our minds our trip was essential and without further ado we went ahead and booked for the 20th August to fly from Manchester to Hurghada due to the limited flights to fly to Luxor direct. When we boarded the flight I was completely overjoyed to see a full flight of wonderful people, people who hadn’t let the media get the better of them, people who believed the resorts in Hurghada to be safe.

We spent 2 lovely relaxing days in Hurghada where life seemed unaffected by the recent troubles and pretty much business as usual,  we were recovering by the pool from the flight with our 20 month old who refused to sit still and pretty much cried all the way, and this was the only stress of the journey. Soon it was time to travel onward to Luxor and we were picked up by a family member in his car. I had been concerned about the journey by road having been told it wasn’t advisable to travel east from Hurghada to Luxor, and the only reason I went ahead with this was because we were told it wasn’t advisable to come to Egypt at all. Our journey took three and a half hours, it seemed that when the armed guards at checkpoints seen I was a tourist in the back of the car and they didn’t trouble us, we weren’t stuck in an long queues although I did notice a very large queue at the checkpoint entering Hurghada from Luxor but nothing the other way around leaving like we were at the time.

Entering Luxor was very different from Hurghada, the effect of the recent events in Egypt could clearly be seen, it wasn’t the Luxor I was used to. No tourists taking photos from the pavements, no calesh drivers up and down the streets, no large crowds at the temples that are now closed. It was weirdly quiet. A family member who works at the Maritime tells me the hotel with over 700 rooms has only 30 guests. I am yet to venture on the streets here but that isn’t due to fear, I would be cautious going out here as I would be going out anywhere else but for different reasons. If I needed to go out I would, its more due to being busy cleaning our flat in the village after workmen installing air conditioning and the children from the family running in and out to play with my son, I’m sure one day soon I will find the time to get out of the house, although my husband recommends wearing traditional clothing as I would sadly be one of the few foreigners around here.

Now I’m glad I went ahead and booked our trip and didn’t delay. I’m thoroughly enjoying being back in Egypt for the next month and spending the rest of my time in Luxor, my home from home.

4 comments:

Paul Grant said...

Have been travelling to Egypt for past 8 years and love it all Cairo,Alex,Luxor,Aswan,Hurghada. Would love to go back to Luxor but have decided to visit Taba in October. Flights to Luxor cancelled or too expensive. I hope to be able to visit Luxor again one day. Alot afraid to visit Egypt because of what they see and hear my cousin thinks i have lost my mind for booking to go to Egypt i dont agree with him.

Jane Akshar said...

Good for you Paul, everywhere needs tourists at the moment. I am sure you will a great time

Martin said...

Me and my mate were hoping to go back to Luxor in the next couple of weeks but flights from Manxchester or anywhere from the North seem none existent or multiple changes. Such a sad sorry situation. I see Thomson are taking advantage by charging excruciatingly inflated priced package deals but will not let you book flight only until Nov 2014. Hate travel companies .

Martin said...

Me and my mate were hoping to go back to Luxor in the next couple of weeks but flights from Manxchester or anywhere from the North seem none existent or multiple changes. Such a sad sorry situation. I see Thomson are taking advantage by charging excruciatingly inflated priced package deals but will not let you book flight only until Nov 2014. Hate travel companies.