Tuesday, 26 November 2013

What is it like to fly to Luxor via Cairo?

With direct flights an issue at the moment you may be interested in the expereince of one lady to find out how it was for her and her family. 

My family and I had to do the Egyptair Heathrow-Cairo-Luxor trip in September after our Easyjet flight was cancelled. I was dreading it as travelling with a 2 and 6 year old you just want to get there as soon as possible. The flight ended up being one of the easiest and least tiring ever.

You check in at Heathrow, your hold luggage gets put on the Cairo - Luxor flight without you having to do anything. You are given a boarding pass for the London to Cairo and another for the cairo to Luxor when you check in. The seats are nice and roomy with a personal TV for each passenger with loads of TV and films etc.

On arrival at Cairo, it's so straightforward. You just follow the signs for connecting flights which leads you through Immigration where they stamp your passport, you go through a hand baggage scanner through to the departure lounge where a bus takes you to your connecting flight. On arrival at Luxor just remember that as your flight was not domestic only you will collect your bags from a different carousel to the passengers who have only done the Cairo -Luxor part of the journey, you will be lead through to a carousel in International arrivals where you collect your bags and clear customs.

Usually my husband and I arrive in Luxor drained from the journey and having to keep the children occupied, usually after dragging them out of bed at 4am. This was the first time I ever arrived feeling refreshed, probably because of the time of the flight (early afternoon instead of early morning) and the comfortable seats. Plus you get 2 x 23Kg to check in plus hand luggage. We only had an hours gap between the connecting flights. Go for it!!

8 comments:

Craig Drummond said...

The Egyptair London to Luxor flight via Cairo IS relatively easy. I am booked for March 2014 to fly from London at 2pm, but I will not arrive in Luxor until 11.55pm - almost midnight. It is relatively easy, if you don't mind the connections but the price at present may put people off as I am paying almost £430 it is not cheap - and I have to get to London, which is another £150 for the return flight.

Craig Drummond said...

The Egyptair flight from London is relatively easy, if you don't mind the connections and hanging around. I am booked in March and fly out of London at 2pm but will not arrive at Luxor airport until 11.55pm. The cost is almost £430which is expensive, and then add £150 for a return flight to get to London.

I have done this journey with Egyptair form London several times but because of flight delays leaving London I missed my connection on 3 occasions and had to sit in Cairo airport all night until the first morning flight at 5am!! - that was no fun.

Bob Jeffray said...

I was booked on the Easyjet to Luxor, and now have been transferred to the Egypt air flight on Dec 16th. I am so happy I am not flying with Easy jet. They were not my first choice. but the package I bought didn't give me a lot of choice. Looking forward to a great holiday, cruising down the Nile.

Pat Pelton said...

What about the visa? Where/how is that obtained?
Thanks,
Pat

Pat Pelton said...

What about the Egypt visa - where do you get that?
Thanks,
Pat

Jane Akshar said...

You get the visa on landing same as any airport in Egypt.

Pat Pelton said...

In Cairo? So that is something that has to be done before catching the flight to Luxor.

Jane Akshar said...

yes, you always have to have a visa the moment you land, before you go through immigration