Wednesday 8 September 2010

Theban Mapping Project July 2010 Progress Report

Theban Mapping Project July 2010 Progress Report: "Dear Friends of the TMP,

Susan Weeks The death of Susan Howe Weeks on 12th December 2009 was a devastating loss for me. Susan had been my wife for 43 years, and we shared everything, including work on our many archaeological projects in Nubia, at Hierakonpolis, Giza, Saqqara, Chicago House, AUC, and Luxor--especially Luxor.

Susan often said the happiest days of her life were spent in Luxor, chatting with village women, learning bread-making and jewelry and arts and crafts, shopping in the weekly markets, and of course, working on our various projects. We lived in Luxor off and on since 1971 and worked together on the Theban Mapping Project since 1978. Susan was the TMP’s chief artist, ceramics expert, registrar, headquarters supervisor, and project archivist. She will be greatly missed; I have lost my wife and best friend, and our project has lost one of its most important staff members. But she will still be close by: Susan often said that “when the time comes,” she wanted to be buried in the place she loved most, Luxor. Sadly, the time came much sooner than any of us had expected, and her remains now lie in the Christian Cemetery east of town.

- Sent using Google Toolbar"

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I AM SORRY FOR YOUR GREAT LOSS.
I READ THE SAD NEWS ON JANE'S SITE IN DECEMBER AND WAS VERY SAD TO HEAR THE NEWS.EVEN THOUGH I HAVE NOT MET YOU , JUST READ ABOUT YOU AND SUSAN, I LIVE IN IRELAND, SO PLEASE REMEMBER THAT I AM THINGKING OF YOU.
I BELIEVE YOU BECAME A GRANDAD ...I TOO HAVE A NEW GRANDCHILD.
ACCEPTANCE IS HARD, NEVERTHELESS WE TRY, DAY BY DAY.
MY BEST WISHES TO YOU.
RE THE CEMETARY, IS IT NEAR THE CATHOLIC CHURCH?

Crystal said...

Dear Kent,

I only just learned of the death of Susan, and you have my sincere condolences. I have read her books and watched her in videos, as well as knowing you both in person. I know that she was like the other half of you, and I am so sorry to hear of this devastating loss. She will be sincerely missed by many, including me.

Crystal Diamond

Jane Akshar said...

I am not sure your comments will get to Kent. it would be better to email him direct. You can go to his website from the link on this page.