Saturday 15 October 2011

Jane Akshar's place, flats in luxor - Review of Flats in Luxor, Luxor, Egypt - TripAdvisor

Such a nice review from a revolution guest, well she was staying here while it was going on.

Jane Akshar's place, flats in luxor - Review of Flats in Luxor, Luxor, Egypt - TripAdvisor: I visited Flats in Luxor twice in early 2011, before and after the revolution. The first time was to make a connection to a dajabiya that took me to Aswan (arranged by Jane--and it was an excellent trip). I was supposed to return to Luxor from Aswan to visit the tombs and temples there, but the trains stopped running during the revolution, so I returned the next month as I was living in Europe for the year. Jane is a treasure. She helped me so much, mostly with information about the tombs and temples but also had dinner with me one night (I was traveling alone) and hooked me up with a group of French tourists so that I could go to Abydos without breaking the bank. I stayed in an apartment in her building (there are several to choose from) on the top floor, and this was perfect, in large part because it gave me access to Jane and her library but also for the spectacular view of the area. The apartments are on the west bank of the Nile. There is a village but it is also very rural which appealed to me--there were banana plantations, donkeys roaming around, and the gorgeous green-green everywhere of Egypt near the Nile. I felt like I was really in the country, not insulated by some Western-oriented resort on the east side of the river, and this suited me just fine. I walked into the village, rode the ferry across the river to see the temples there, enjoyed interacting with the locals. I recommend reading Jane's blog before making the trip, which is remarkable for its detail about the most recent developments in the archeological excavations and for its wit. I highly recommend staying at Flats in Luxor when you visit. You'll have a richer experience for it.

- Sent using Google Toolbar

No comments: