Monday 3 May 2010

Susan Mubarack Library - Luxor

For ever one in Luxor thinking of doing the Manchester Egyptology Course I have good news. Justine Norbury who works at the library went through the reading list and has identified the following books that are available there. There are still lots missing but Justine is trying to get others added to the purchasing lists as it is such a good basis for an Egyptology library.

The library is situated on the airport road just on Sphinx Avenue

UNIVERSITY OF MANCHESTER EGYPTOLOGY COURSE:
Book available in the Mubarak Library, Luxor:

Aldred, C Egyptian Art in the days of the pyramids, 3100-320BC
Aldred, C Egyptian Art in the days of the pyramids, 3100-320BC
Baines, J. and Malek, J. (1980 revised 2002), Atlas of Ancient Egypt, Oxford.
Bonnet, C. and Valbelle, D. (2006), the Nubian Pharaohs: Black Kings on the Nile, Cairo and New York.
Bowman, A.K. (1990). Egypt after the Pharaohs, Oxford.
Carter, H. and Mace, A.C. (1923-33), the Tomb of Tut.Ankh.Amen, 3 Volumes, London.
Clayton, P.A. (1994), Chronicle of the Pharaohs, London
Dodson, A.M. and Hilton, D. (2004), the Complete Royal Families of Ancient Egypt, London.
Edwards, I.E.S. (1961 revised), The Pyramids of Egypt, London
Freed, R.E. et al. (1999), Pharaohs of the Sun: Akhenaten, Nefertiti, Tutankhamen, London and Boston.
Gardiner, A.H. (1957: various later editions), Egyptian Grammar, Oxford
Harris, J.E. and Wente E.F. (1980), an X-ray Atlas of the Royal Mummies, Chicago and London.
Hoffman, M.A. (1980; revised 1991), Egypt before the Pharaohs: the Prehistoric Foundations of Egyptian Civilization, London and Austin, Texas.
Hornung, E. (1983), Conceptions of God in Ancient Egypt: the One and the Many, London.
Ikram, S. and Dodson, A. (1998), the Mummy in Ancient Egypt, London.
James, T.G.H. (1992), Howard Carter: the Path to Tutankhamun, London and New York.
Kemp, B.J. (1980 revised 2005), Ancient Egypt: Anatomy of a Civilization, London and New York.
Kitchen, K.A. (1982), Pharaoh Triumphant: the Life and Times of Ramesses II, Warminster.
Lehner, M. (1997), the Complete Pyramids, London.
Malek, J. and Forman, W. (1986), In the Shadow of the Pyramids: Egypt during the Old Kingdom, London.
Parkinson, R.B. (1991), Voices From Ancient Egypt: an Anthology of Middle Kingdom Writings, London.
Quirke, S. (1992), Ancient Egyptian Religion, London
Redford, D.B. (1984), Akhenaten: the Heretic King, Princeton
Reeves, N. (2001), Akhenaten: Egypt's False Prophet, London.
Reeves, N. (1990), the Complete Tutankhamen: The King, the Tomb, the Royal Treasure, London.
Reeves, N. and Wilkinson, R.H. (1996), the Complete Valley of the Kings: Tombs and Treasures of Egypt's Greatest Pharaohs, London.
Robins, G Egyptian Painting and Relief
Roehrig, C.H. ed (2005), Hatshepsut: From Queen to Pharaoh, Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York.
Schafer, B.E. Ed (1998), Temples of Ancient Egypt, London and New York.
Simpson, W.K. ed. (2003), the Literature of Ancient Egypt: an Anthology of Stories, Instructions, Stelae, Autobiographies, and Poetry, 3rd Edition, New Haven and London.
Smith, WS the Art and Architecture of Ancient Egypt
Spencer, A.J. (1982), Death in Ancient Egypt, London
Thomas, A.P. (1988), Akhenaten's Egypt, Aylesbury
Tyldesley, J. (2005), Chronicle of the Queens of Egypt, London
Tyldesley, J.A. (1996), Hatshepsut: the Female Pharaoh, Viking/Penguin, London
Verner, M the Pyramids: The mystery, culture and science of Egypt's great monuments
Walker, S. and Higgs, P. eds (2001), Cleopatra of Egypt: From History to Myth, London.

Watson, P Egyptian Pyramids and Mastaba tombs
Weeks, K.R. (1998), the Lost Tomb: the Greatest Discovery at the Valley of the Kings since Tutankhamen, London.
Wilkinson, R.H. (2003), the Complete Gods and Goddesses of Ancient Egypt, London.
Wilkinson, R.H. (2000), the Complete Temples of Ancient Egypt, Thames & Hudson, London.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

sDear Jane,
This is a wonderfull bibliography for me. I've been learning everything that I can by myself; I've been buying books and DVD's documentaries from National Geographic Channel and History Channel. Here in Portugal I dont't have many choice of foreign Egyptology books, sometimes I wait mounths for a book from an English author...My father lives in Canada, and last September he was in Portugal and brought me two books from Dr. Zahi Hawass: The Royal Tombs of Egypt and Hidden Treasures. I was so glad to have a book with the amazing tombs of the Valley of the Kings, we couldn't tooke photos from the inside of the tombs, now I have it in a book with explanations!!! Your list of books available in the Mubarak library,in Luxor, it's a way for me to get more knowledgment about The Ancient Egypt, that I love so much, thank you for keeping us updated,
love, Manuela Dias

Jane Akshar said...

Very glad to have helped. Have you ever thought about doing the Manchester Course. As it is totally online anyone anywhere in the world can do it. One of my friends lives in Portugal and she graduated last year.

Jane Akshar said...

Very glad to have helped. Have you ever thought about doing the Manchester Course. As it is totally online anyone anywhere in the world can do it. One of my friends lives in Portugal and she graduated last year.

Unknown said...

Dear Jane,you made my day just for answering my e-mail. Yes I?ve been thinking in doing the Manchester Course on-line but I'm a little afraid about level of English. I've been in the University for 2 years (gave up), and I worked in England for 3 years (P&O Ferries)from 2000-2003, it was a good schcoll...I feel my english is a little bit rusty, but my love towards Egypt is bigger!!! I loved do know that you achieved your dream, I hope to have the same chance in this lifetime. I'll promisse next time in Egypt, I'll stay in your flats, because I just stay one day in Luxor and Katnak and I falled in Love with that place, I wish I could live there all the time and study all that Magical Stone; that sand and the Nile is in my vains know! My frieds say I must have been Egyption in another Life, beacause I just talk about Egypt, today study Ancient Egypt History is my Hobby and my goal in Life! I turn 40 this year, and I made a Tatoo for the first time, the Godess Bastet, that it's my Egyption Signus, it was my present to myself!Love
Manuela Dias

Jane Akshar said...

Why don't you email the course and tell them your worries and see what they say.

They have loads of foreign students so I am sure you could cope especially with spell checkers etc