Sunday 12 September 2010

Unique photos of Hassan Fathys protype

Fans of Hassan Fathy will find these photos a real treat. Taken in 1945 in a private garden in Ma’adi, Cairo belonging to George and Mildred Beaver. (Thanks to the Normand family for letting me have them.) My guest Heather Normand nee Beaver actually lived in Cairo in her childhood and in correspondence said that Hassan Fathy had made a prototype for the New Gurna houses in their garden and it had been used as a Wendy House when she was a child !!! There was a canal(now filled in) at the back of the house and the bricks were made on the banks. When they left it was pulled down so I begged for any photos they might have and they brought them to me today. Those of you that have been to the village in Gurna will recognise many features. I thought they deserved a wider audience so decided to publish them on the blog although they are not exactly Luxor News. I have framed my copies and put them on display.



1 comment:

Pamela said...

I am a Hassan Fathy fan and really enjoyed seeing these. How lovely of your friends to share them and how nice that you posted them! Thank you.